Terrain Update – Making a Church

//Terrain Update – Making a Church

Terrain Update – Making a Church

On Friday evening I had a flash of inspiration and decided to build a church.

I had no idea what I was going to end up with and Googled 28mm churches for a few ideas. I decided to base mine on one I quite liked on Google and set about making it out of my favourite modelling material; underfloor heating insulation foam.

Initially, I made templates out of card just to make sure the boxes I was making the church from all fit together. When I cut all the pieces out and pinned them together, it looked a bit large so I ended up chopping an inch off the bottom of all parts.

The basic shell made from foam sheets
The basic shell made from foam sheets

None of the windows and doors were measured as such. I just used a 28mm German SS officer and guessed a reasonable size of doors and windows which I cut out using my trusty desktop hot wire cutter.

Cutting the holes for windows and doors
All holes cut

Once the four rooms of the church were completed, I started on the roofs. These were made from mount board as the base with individually cut out tiles which I made from sheets of thin card.

Gluing all the tiles in place was a laborious task done in front of Saturday night TV for a few hours, but they do look more individual than my other style; scoring the tiles into a sheet of foam.

I gave the external walls of the church a coat of sand to give it some texture and once everything was dry it was time to paint.

Coat of sand added
Coat of sand added
Ready for a coat of pant

Painting consisted of an overall coat of grey, then a wash of black. I then added two dry-brush coats of light grey and white.

The roofs were painted Hull Red then a black wash, then a dry-brush of red and white.

Once everything was painted I then did the windows. These were made from plastic document wallets obtained from my local Poundstretcher, 5 wallets for a quid. I have painted these a plain ink wash blue using some blue ink from Citadel which must be a good 10 years or more old. I then stuck these to the inside of the walls.

I made floors out of think sheets of foam which have flagstones drawn onto them just to give a better look when the roofs are off and troops are inside on the wargame table.

The doors were made of cut up coffee stirrers with little wire door handles. I added a flagpole which is magnetised and will fit on the top of the bell tower.

The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church
The finished Church

Overall, I’m very happy with the finished building. I just have the grounds around the church to do which will involve a coat of sand. I’ll add some grass and maybe a path or two and will think about adding some tombs or gravestones.

A cemetery to go alongside with some walls around the church perimeter would be good.

I’d like to find a way to do more ornate door and window frames but I’m not sure what to make them from or whether I might need to buy some in and use them in my buildings. Some experimentation, when I have the time, is called for.

You can see a video about building the church below…

2018-03-18T19:19:14+00:00March 18th, 2018|Modelling|0 Comments

Leave A Comment

%d bloggers like this: